Emotional healing is difficult work in the best of circumstances. I've found several tools that are necessary for the journey; some were familiar, while others were new to me:
1. There is no substitute for a friend/counselor to talk with about your growth. We all need someone to confide in, someone to bounce ideas off of, someone to fight for us even when we are ready to give up. Important qualities of a friend/counselor include their unconditional love for you and objective experience to draw upon.
2. A written journal is helpful, both as a historical record of your growth, but more importantly to help you process your discoveries. At times I have found that I was simply unable to move forward without writing. Other entries have become mileposts of growth that I can look back upon as I grow. Dreams are especially important to journal; they are a message from the subconscious. Even the meaningful ones are often difficult to remember.
3. The greatest emotional healing I have experienced has come from brain development enabled by the use of binaural beats. Binaural beats are the effect created by listening to different tones in each ear, similar to the "beats" heard when a guitar or piano is being tuned. Listening to binaural beat soundtracks through stereo headphones is like a workout for the brain. The brain adaps to each workout, developing mental and emotional speed and strength. This incremental growth has helped me achieve profound results.
4. Omega-3 Fatty Acids are the indispensable building blocks of the brain - it is hard to overstate the importance of this nutrient for dramatic healing and growth. Brain development by means of binaural beats uses up available stores of omega-3's, and unless these stores are replenished, additional growth will be blocked. Omega-3's have an anti-inflammatory effect on the body* involving the same pathways as modern drugs like ibuprofen. Unnecessary frustration and physical pain can be avoided by supplementing the diet with omega-3 fatty acids.
I recommend each of these tools for your growth. Indeed, I would not attempt the journey without any one of them.