I say this book is a MUST read! It is told in first person by a 7th grader named Tom. Tom is a very authentic character, sharing with the reader his fears, uncertainties, fantasies, and reactions to the world around him. When a girl is transferred to his school to be closer to a hospital for the continued medical needs she has after being severally burned, Tom's views and understandings of his world are shaken.
I loved this book because it excites me how kids could see Tom's character handling these situations and can put themselves in his place. Reading this book with a classroom or with kids in the home could open up many doors to the thoughts and feelings that the kids (and adults) are having about those that are different than others.
I loved this book because I saw myself in the girl who was burned. I am blessed that I am back to "normal" after the accident that I was in on December 11, 2006, but things linger... One thing that lingers is the feelings I had being in a wheel chair, using a walker, on crutches, a cane, or just being slower than everyone else. Feelings that I am not wanted, am not good enough, and that it is too hard emotionally to reach out to others.
It isn't easy to reach out to someone who is different than you, especially as a kid, but face it, this is true for adults as well. BUT as hard as that is, I promise you, it is harder being the person who is different to reach back